Thursday, June 10, 2010

Legalize gambling?

Amit Verma in his Yahoo opinions - Viewfinder argues the need for legalizing gambling in India. His argument is, everyday - everyone is involved in decision making which he calls it gambling. The fact he is missing is that they are actually just changes we take.
Secondly, not everyone is educated and rational enough to decide whether to gamble or not. Agreed that govt should serve people, not rule them. If the govt legalize gambling, it will spoil many workers into gamblers (I know this well because I lived long enough in Nevada). So, sometimes govt should proactively control and form rules so as to protect its citizens. He also justifies the tax from gambling would cover the expenses of the NREGA. Ok, legalize gambling and next what? legalize brothels? where do we stop?
Before asking for legalizing anything, we must just see if someone has done it before and see whether it worked. I am not saying that gambling must be banned in Nevada aswell. Its just not for everyplace particularly for the whole nation particularly not for India which has different culture.
Long time ago, when I and my friend were walking, we were stopped by a missionary. She went on to speak about the need for god and stuff. My friend got mad and started fighting with the missionary pointing her that she is just trying to convert him. I told my friend, she is just doing her job. She may not be right in talking to you about her god but the fact is, there are missionaries is some jungle in Africa who have no values and eating human flesh. They are needed there but not to someone like you who belong to a culture which has over 3000 years of human values.
My point is, certain things belong to certain places.

No comments: